Saturday, February 28, 2009

With a Smile on the Phone

Here folks, is another song that have become a bittersweet part of my life.
Before, I love this song just for the sheer impact of its message. The positive outlook that the composer and artist wants the listeners to hear and bring into their lives.

The song used to inspire and only elicit pleasant emotions... a feeling of hope, courage, and strength that somehow you'll make it through whatever it is that makes you feel that hell is a lot preferable than your present.

Then one day... someone, someone who've become very special maybe because of the song or despite of it; did something to me quite out of the ordinary. Something that would raise anyone's sense of romanticism, even if they, by nature are not romantic by heart. What did he do?
He sung the song to me over the phone.

Since then the song took on a new meaning. Bring about a new sense of hope and courage. A new anchor. A sense of security that someone, or so I thought, would be there for me no matter what. But then, he never really said that he love me and so he left. Left me with my heart hanging on the steep cliff of emotional high. Then letting it drop like worthless pieces of clay that had cease to become useful, leaving me alone to pick up and make do with the shattered pieces.

Ironically, despite the bittersweet association, the song have still made me get by with that smile that the composer and artist talk about-- though this time, tears smeared the otherwise hopeful smile.


Lift your head, baby, don't be scared
Of the things that could go wrong along the way
You'll get by with a smile
You can't win at everything but you can try.
Baby, you don't have to worry
'Coz there ain't no need to hurry
No one ever said that there's an easy way
When they're closing all their doors
And they don't want you anymore
This sounds funny but I'll say it anyway.
Girl I'll stay through the bad times
Even if I have to fetch you everyday
I'll get by if you smile
You can never be too happy in this life.
In a world where everybody
Hates a happy ending story
It's a wonder love can make the world go round
And don't let it bring you down
And turn your face into a frown
You'll get along with a little prayer and a song.
(Too doo doo...)
Let me hear you sing it
(Too doo doo...)
In a world where everybody
Hates a happy ending story
It's a wonder love can make the world go round
But don't let it bring you down
And turn your face into a frown
You'll get along with a little prayer and a song.
Lift your head, baby, don't be scared
Of the things that could go wrong along the way
You'll get by with a smile
Now it's time to kiss away those tears goodbye
(Too doo doo...)
Let me hear you sing it
(Too doo doo)


No comments: