Friday, May 30, 2008

Loving and Trusting People

A few days ago, i saw another classic example that will inspire me to keep on looking for the good in every person i met. Yes, someone sent me a powerpoint presentation of how the earthquake in China have devastated a lot of properties amounting to billions in infrastructure and material equipments.

The dead and wounded abound and caused a lot of grief. But that terrible disaster, as huge as its damages, did not manage to devastate the goodness of the Chinese people. While reading and seeing through the pictures my tears begun to drop so that i chose not finish the whole presentation for fear of having my new officemates see me cry. However, I did see enough to say that people can always choose to be good despite and maybe because of disaster.

A lot of things where scattered around the affected areas, and yet, as reported, there were no incidents of looting. The Chinese people chose to be kind and helpful during the times when they themselves need help. Volunteers run to the affected areas and blood donations flooded without much prodding.

Stories of this sort strengthened my resolve to view all people as innately good. Thus considering them trustworthy first and foremost--unless to they will prove to be otherwise--is still the best i can do.
Yeah, evil abound in the world, and i will get hurt and wounded most often than not... but i'd rather get hurt knowing that in my dealings with people i have come to them with a pure heart... no preconceived notions and biases... and no hidden agendas.

This way i am sure that everyone started on equal footing, regardless of appearances. If somebody chooses to hurt me whether maliciously or out of circumstance, then so be it. After all, i always believe that justice will be served... in whichever way that we most need to learn.

Cliche as it sound but i'd rather err on the side of compassion and enjoy the company of people than keep myself safe inside the walls of mistrust that will shield me from experiencing deeply the goodness of others.

With me, people always start on the notion that they are dignified and trustworthy beings. In my book love should always be free flowing, like the coffee and water that we included in the menu package for our training next week.

No comments: